Tuesday 15 May 2012

Dhaka and its Fruit

A round-about at a place called Farmgate, near my Bangla class. I thought I was hearing wrong when people referred to it, but I looked it up and apparently not.

There's hasn't really been very many noteworthy events the past couple of days, so I thought I'd take this post to share some pictures, especially since the last few have been severely lacking. Just two quick items of note. 1) It's raining! FINALLY! The first time since I've been here! It's really cooling off because of it, which is so nice. I hope the coolness last through tomorrow, because right now I can't take advantage of it (window must stay closed to keep out mosquitoes). 2) I bought sandals today, rounding out a Bangladeshi wardrobe. I wasn't really in a rush to get them (when it's a bajillion degrees out I'm not so worried about my feet, but more so the fact that my shirt is drenched in sweat), but everyone here at the office seemed to think it was a priority! I got the largest size possible (8) which is still a little small and wouldn't have cut it in Canada. But better than the size 6 which one vendor was trying to convince me would be fine. Um, I think if I'm buying it, I would know best what I want? Anyway it is nice to let some air between my toes.
Now, a few general pictures of life in Dhaka, from my various cross-town trips (see also first picture):
Farmgate

At sunset, down a road which I believe is Manik Mia avenue. It's important because it passes in front of Parliament.

The Bangladesh Parliament building. It's quite big and unique. Hopefully I can snap a better angle in the future.

Here's the area along the river/lake (see picture below) that Sophie and I sat the other day. I guess it serves for public assemblies? Directly across is where we were harassed by kids.

The same area where we relaxed. This looks like a river to me, but from what I gather, it's actually a narrow lake. I think it was in Dhanmondi neighbourhood.

You'd think you'd left the city! This is a green space that just seemed to appear out of nowhere from the urban bustle. Behind me is honking, traffic jams and tons of people.
These bananas I posted because they relate to a funny story. When I was sick, Shumon brought them to my room and told me that they were good for the belly. That’s fine, and I think I ate one. But only a couple hours later, max, he asked me if I had finished them! Look how many there are! I couldn’t eat those all in such a short period when I’m healthy, let alone with an unsettled tummy!
Sweeter (and smaller) than our bananas back home!
Now, some more fun with fruits! I took these pictures in the yard by my Bangla teacher’s apartment. In the first picture, can you locate the mangoes? (hint: they’re not in season yet!). The second’s going to be a bit more of a challenge: Can you identify the fruit that is growing on these trees? If you know or have a guess, please feel free to comment. I’ll post the answer in the next blog post. If you are in or have been to Bangladesh before, you most certainly cannot answer.
See the mangoes?
What am I??

A (blurry, sorry!) close up to help you out!
Here’s another local fruit that I have fallen in love with: litchis! I don’t think I had really had them before (or maybe on only one occasion?) but we picked some up in the market the other day and OH THEY ARE GOOD! I’m slightly addicted, having to use a lot of self-restraint in not eating them in one sitting. But they are so sweet and have such a unique, delicious taste (and are bite-sized)! I also had fresh mango today: yum! However litchi still wins the fruit supremacy race. Perhaps mangoes will close the gap in a few weeks; they aren’t yet really properly in season.
Just look at them! Begging to be eaten!

All for me!!!
I just briefly re-read this post and found it dreadfully boring. Honestly: sandals and litchis. I hope the photos make up for the lack of excitement!

-C

5 comments:

  1. Cam! Keep name-dropping the places you go so I can find them on Google Earth! Unfortunately the imagery is low-quality (hazy, poor resolution, etc) but it's still neat to see where you've been. Also, can you let me know the name of the street you are on so I can search it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cam - I hope that's not chawmine fruit!... did you count your kidneys after the hospital experience? Liking the pictures a lot:)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cam,
    Happy to hear everything is going so well. Lovely pictures, interesting stories. Waiting for more.
    Love,Grandma and Grandpa H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sir, those doodads certainly look a lot like pears. No, a lot more like squash. Unless they're a specialty Bangladeshi fruit, I really don't know what to guess. Amazing photos (the green space reminds me of Apocalypse Now) and we should see Rangoon as soon as you get back. Stay healthy!

    - JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe no-one knew those were jackfruit!! you need to widen your Brasilian reader base.

    ReplyDelete